Thursday, October 9, 2008

My Opinion/Thoughts on wars and peace

Today, October 9th, would have been John Lennon's 68th birthday. Being a HUGE Beatles fan, this means a lot to me. Because John Lennon was such an advocate of peace, I feel that I should do a post on my opinions on war and peace. 

First of all, war disgusts me. Reading All Quiet on the Western Front as my summer reading this year only heightened that. I feel that war is just so mindless and senseless. I really wish that there was no war, as do many people. I really just don't understand why wars have to happen! Maybe if people were just kinder to one another, wars wouldn't be necessary. 

My feelings about America's war in Iraq, however, are contradictory. So much that I'm even a little confused myself. My first reaction is always "It's war, war is bad!", but when I actually think about it I see another perspective. 

What if someone started a war in the US, or what if another 9/11 happened? 

I definitely think, at any rate, that more should be done to stop Al-Queda, as they are the reason for the 9/11 attacks in the first place. 

I actually wrote a poem about War a month or two ago.

War
Death,  destruction, pointless, senseless, murder, killing, sorrow, weapons, poorly waisted money, unfinished lives,  corpses laying in the battlefield , memories scarred forever, disgusting, pain, hurt, ignorance, greed, false superiority, confusion, stupidity, blood, terror, fear, sadness, anger, power, hate, misunderstanding, restlessness, lives waisted,  nothing gained.  

It's sort of like a list of things about things i think about when I think of war, but it can work as a poem, I believe. 

I love peace. Whether it be global peace or inner peace, it makes me happy. Peace signs are my favorite accessories. But I know that wearing peace signs is not the same as being an advocate of peace. I absolutely would love to be an advocate of peace, but I'm too lazy. Silly me! Still, I feel that peace is substantially important to the world, because if we just had peace, so many worries would be taken care of!

We wouldn't need to have armies, which would mean that money spent on the army would be used for other things, such as for solving the financial crisis. 
With no wars, mothers, fathers, wives, husbands, brothers, sisters, cousins, aunts, uncles and friends all across America wouldn't be worrying every day if they'd ever see the soldier they love again. 
And not even only in America! Anywhere where there are wars, people are worrying whether their favorite soldier will come back alive!  

It's absolutely ludicrous that wars are so prevalent across the globe. That people are so selfish, greedy, and ignorant, that they would actually want wars to happen. 

It sickens me. 

And on that very positive and happy note, I have decided to end this post. I am planning for my next post to be on Wednesday, October 15th. 

I hope you check in to read it! 

Peace, 
Vanessa


2 comments:

Lydia said...

Boo on war!

Vanessa said...

I'm glad you agree with me, Lydia!